Oral Arguments are happening now. View them on the web or via Mobile App on iPhone / iPad or Android (4.0+).

You are here

9. Child Support Hearings

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version


   Whenever the care or custody of a juvenile is given by the court to someone other than his or her parent, the county attorney or authorized attorney may initiate a child or medical support enforcement action in this court. Said action shall be initiated by the filing of an appropriate petition with service on the parent as required by law. The petition shall be filed under the docket number of the existing Juvenile Court case or may be filed as a separate action.
   If filed in the Juvenile Court, the county attorney or authorized attorney shall give notice of the filing of said action and of any hearings to the attorney of record for the parent in this court, if any; to the guardian ad litem for the juvenile, if any; and to an attorney for the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services. Notice of any hearing shall be given by regular first class mail and shall be given as soon as possible, but at least 5 judicial days prior to the hearing.
   In said action, counsel are required to comply with the Nebraska Child Support Guidelines as promulgated and modified by the Nebraska Supreme Court. The county attorney or authorized attorney and the attorney for the parent, if any, shall complete a child support calculation worksheet pursuant to the guidelines and furnish the worksheet to opposing counsel or parties at least 3 days prior to any hearing on a request for child or medical support. The parties setting a child or medical support action for trial shall request sufficient time for trial of the case. Notice shall be given as set out above.
Adopted effective January 22, 2000.

This page was last modified on Wednesday, November 7, 2012