In 2012, the Nebraska State Court of Appeals instituted a community outreach and education program known as the “College Campus Initiative”.
The court annually holds oral arguments on college campuses throughout Nebraska as a way of bringing the judicial branch to young people.
The Court of Appeals has, since its inception, invited high schools, colleges, and community members into oral argument sessions when holding sessions outside of the Capitol. The College Campus Initiative is an enhanced version of the original plan that includes open invitations to all students on campus plus college instructors and active outreach to high schools through the Nebraska State Bar Foundation’s Center for Law-Related Education.
Students are furnished expanded case descriptions prior to viewing oral arguments and allowed a ‘question and answer’ session on court process and procedure following each panel argument session. Case summaries for upcoming arguments are available online.
Past and Future College Campuses hosting the Nebraska State Court of Appeals:
- 2012 Peru State College, Peru NE
- 2013 Nebraska Wesleyan University, Lincoln NE
- 2014 Midland University, Fremont NE
- 2014 (Tentative) University of Nebraska Kearney, Kearney NE
- 2015 (Tentative) Concordia University, Seward NE
- 2015 (Tentative) Peru State college, Peru NE
- Nebraska Court of Appeals to Convene at Nebraska Wesleyan University on Thursday, September 12, 2013
This program is directed by the Chief Judge of the Nebraska State Court of Appeals
For more information:
Nebraska Supreme Court Public Information Officer
1213 State Capitol
P. O. Box 98910
Lincoln, NE 68509